Asbestos Links 10.23.13

Asbestos in drinking water

CDC Toxic substances portal

World Health Organization says asbestos in drinking water can become airborne as the water flows from the tap but that ingesting it in food and water is not carcinogenic. See pdf attached.

Article about regulation of asbestos levels at Silver Bay: clarified.html ‘measuring the effect is difficult in part because of the amount of time it takes for mesothelioma to develop, two to four decades after asbestos exposure in some cases’

The asbestos found in the Penokee Hills is amphibole.

Several studies have investigated the effects of asbestos on fish (Batterman and Cook 1981, Belanger et al. 1990, Belanger et al 1986, Woodhead et al. 1983). The findings indicate that asbestos concentrations on the order of 106 to 108 fibers/L may cause epidermal lesions, epithelial hypertrophy, kidney damage, decreased orientation and swimming ability, degradation of the lateral line, reduced growth, and increased mortality in fish. Undisturbed, non-friable (not easily crumbled) asbestos has been found to be relatively harmless (Garcia and Salzwedel 1995, Montoya et al 1985).

From a book called ‘100 Questions & Answers about Mesothelioma’

By Mary Hesdorffer, Sarah Elizabeth Lake, Sarah Ann Lake